A seated calf raise machine is a variation of the standard calf raise machine. Unlike the standard one, users work their calves when seated down. This is meant to isolate specific muscles of the calves and enhance their strength along with fitness.
Unfortunately, calves are stubborn muscles and do not respond to most of the exercises. These muscles are also resistant to muscle growth, unlike other parts of the body. Routine training is less likely to bring any positive changes to your calf muscles.
Therefore, it is important that you try various angles to work the deep muscles in this section of the body. This is why both standing and seated calf raises are an important part of your exercise routine.
You should include these workouts in your leg workout sessions. Fitness experts advise one to have at least two calf workouts per week. You should do them with heavyweights in sets of about 4 to 6 reps with one lighter one with 25-50 reps.
You can work the muscles alone or pair them with exercises that target muscle groups that they are attached to. It does not hurt to include lunges and squats in the same session.
The use of a seated calf raise machine can help you to continually attack these muscle groups and force the calves to grow. This article looks at some machine brands you can buy to meet this goal, along with advice on how to work out the calves effectively. To get us started, here are our top three picks
Best Seated Calf Raise Machines Reviews
- 1. TITAN Seated Calf Raise Machine V2
- 2. Valor Fitness CC-5 Calf Raise Unit
- 3. XMark Seated Calf Raise Machine XM-7613
- 4. Soozier Adjustable Steel Sitting Calf Raise Machine
- 5. Body-Solid Powerline Calf Raise Machine (PSC43X)
- 6. Deltech Fitness Seated Calf Machine
- 7. Body Solid Calf Raise Machine
- How to Choose a Seated Calf Raise Machine
- Calf Raise Benefits
1. TITAN Seated Calf Raise Machine V2
No products found.
No products found.
The TITAN Seated Calf Raise Machine V2 is a build calf raise machine that features thigh roller pads for enhanced comfort and reduced soreness. It also comes with a diamond plated steel foot place.
Its frame is made of a 2-inch by 3-inch, 11 gauge steel that is able to handle use and misuse without deformation. Therefore, you are in for a piece of durable yet comfortable exercise equipment that will serve you years down the line if used correctly.
This seated calf raise machine is an improvement on their version one to provide their customers with a mix of comfort and increased performance. It targets medium and regular trainers.
It also has a dual loadable weight post sleeve that will fit 2-inch Olympic standard plates, steel, or bumper plates. The sleeve is removable to give you an outstanding 10 inches of usable space for your small weight plates.
Therefore, you can push your muscles as far as you wish by adding extra weight to 500 pounds on the machine. It also comes with a height adjustment mechanism that allows you to get the perfect fit depending on your legs’ size.
The Titan seated calf machine V2 only weighs 64 pounds with 47.5 inches in length and 20 inches in width. Some assembly is required on buying. However, it will not take you lots of time and just needs a wrench.
- It is a simple to use machine that allows for height adjustments
- It accepts both the Olympic standard weights along with your regular weights
- The Olympic sleeve can be removed to put more standard weights as per your need
- It has a simple yet durable construction
- You may feel a little locking at the bolt joints after using the machine for some time. This may require you to tighten the bolts after every while
- It has a stripped down, basic structure. While durable, it does not look so great
- Some customers have complained that the seat is not adequately padded
Here is the best way to use this seated calf raise machine.
The Valor Fitness CC-5 seated calf machine is built to provider performance, power, and strength. This seated calf raise machine is built using a 12-gauge steel frame to ensure stability, strength, and durability.
It also comes with durable diamond-plated footplates to ensure that you are stable when doing your calf raises. On the other hand, the weights and held together with chrome-plated sleeves.
These sleeves can hold a maximum weight of 400 pounds, way higher than most people would need for their workout. Therefore, you have a chance to push your calves to the extreme.
You can adjust the knee pad using the steel popper pins. It can be adjusted into six vertical positions and five horizontal positions. Once you have found your optimal position, you now lift your knees and move its safety bar so that you are able to go the full range.
For additional stability and safety, you can mount the exercise equipment on the floor. This works well where you have a dedicated workout room at home. The Valor Fitness CC-5 measures a whopping 51 inches by 24.5 inches by 36 inches.
It should fit in a standard room and just take one corner. The manufacturer attests to the quality of the fitness machine by giving a three-year warranty on the frame, two years on the pad, and a year on the popper pin.
- The machine has robust, durable construction and can be used in a small gym
- The rolling pads make regular exercising on the machine a lot easier
- It is easy to assemble the machine and just requires a wretch and some screw
- You can adjust the knee pad into various positions, which gives you added comfort
- It is quite long and might not fit in a squeezed room
- It does not come with the tools that you require to assemble the equipment
- The warranty period is too short for the machine
The XMark seated calf raise machine is a compact fitness equipment meant for home exercises. It is made with a steel frame that is 11-gauge and measures two inches by three inches. Therefore, you are assured of durability even with regular use.
The frame has a baked powder coat finish, which makes it scratch resistance. Therefore, your machine should look good even with years of usage. Besides, the feet are skid-resistant, allowing you to push the balls of your feet to the maximum to increase your calf exercises without the risk of injury.
There is a height-adjustable swivel that toy can use to adjust your thigh pads. They also rotate as you perform your thigh rises. This allows it to be used by people with different leg lengths.
As for the pads, the machine features three-inch Duracraft cushions that offer firm support and do not get deformed with regular pressure from the glutes and thighs. At the front of this seated calf raise machine is a dual Olympic weight post that allows you to fit over 400 pounds of weights.
It works with the two-inch standard Olympic weights, which are pretty common with most weight lifting machines. The base of the XMark sitting calf machine has rubber padding to ensure stability and prevent scratching of the delicate floors such as wood and stone.
- The compact size takes up little room in your home
- It has a robust construction, which enables it to serve you for long
- It works with Olympic weights, which are now a standard in the weights industry
- The machine has been well-finished and can form part of your home if you do not have additional exercise space
- Most users have praised the cushioning for its firmness and comfort
- Its compact size makes it too small for people with longer legs
- It does not fit small, one-inch weights. Therefore, if you are already have the small weights, you can use them on this seated machine
Soozier combines strength with ergonomics to give you a calf raise machine that offers a mix of user-friendly design, ergonomics, and durability. This enables you to work out your calf muscles better and longer.
It is made of durable, sturdy, powder-coated steel that is two-inches by three-inches. The powder coating ensures that it remains looking great years down the line if it is well-taken care of.
Ergonomics comes in the sense that different controls and handles have been made in such a way that it is possible to pull and push the handles without overexerting yourself.
It has a unique foot platform to eliminate the strains on the balls of your feet so that you are able to push weights to the maximum height. It also provides an optimal range of motion to ensure that you attack the muscle fibers for the best results.
Besides, the thigh pads are adjustable so that you are able to get the best setup for your comfort. This also allows it to offer the best experience to people of different heights.
Soozier features dual- Olympic weight posts that can handle up to 440 pounds. It has a safety mechanism that ensures these weights are bound in place for a safe workout.
In addition, the foot brace bar is texture to ensure that you do not slip out of place when doing your lifts and injure your calves. Other Soozier machine you may like include sissy squat benches and more.
- It has a compact yet ego-friendly design that works for most fitness enthusiasts
- The powder coating along with the steel body ensures that the machine lasts for years
- The weight bar allows it to handle Olympic size weights with ease
- Its deep dark color makes it a beautiful accessory in any room that you place it
- It will not work with your smaller-sized weights. You must buy the standard Olympic set
The Body-Solid Powerline Seated Calf Raise Machine (PSC43X) is a minimalist yet effective calf workout equipment that helps work your ankle muscles more effectively.
It has a 3:1 weigh ratio on the performance that offers a force equivalent to three times the weight that you load to the machine. Here is an example: when you load 100 pounds into the machine, you expect to get a downward force of 300 pounds. Therefore, you will not be forced to buy more weights as you improve muscle strength.
This seated calf raise machine is made of a steel frame and coated with powdered paint. This offers you longevity even with regular use. Besides, it has an angled foot platform that has non-slip surface so that you are able to push the balls of your feet to the maximum.
It only measures 45 inches by 21 inches by 32 inches and weighs about 44 pounds. This allows you to put it at home without taking up too much space.
It also has rolling pads that are also adjustable according to the height of the user. You can use either the 1-inch weight plates or collars to get yourself some additional challenge. As proof of the quality of the machine, the manufacturer offers a ten years warranty on the frame and a year’s warranty on other parts.
- By being compact, you can use it even in places where there is little room
- The rolling adjustable pads are not only comfortable but allow you to enjoy full motion
- The 3:1 weight ration gives you maximum benefits for a small weight
- It is a robust, durable equipment backed with an equally long warranty period.
- It cannot fit Olympic size weights. However, you may purchase a sleeve to allow for 2-inch weights. This adds to the costs of owning the machine
Deltech fitness calf machine combines a little bit of the toughness of the Xmark brand and the sturdiness that comes with BodySolid machines.
It is a heavy-duty workout machine that combines a steel body (3-in by 2-inch) and baked powder coating to ensure durability while still looking good. The manufacturer has taken care when producing this seated calf raise machine to give it a minimal look without sacrificing on performance.
If you still have the old 1-inch weight plates, you can still use them in the machine. It also comes with an adapter that allows you to use it with the standard Olympic 2-inch plates.
The adapter is easy to install and holds the large weights in place. You can adjust the height of the thigh pads depending on the height using easy-to-use mechanism triggered by the pull pin that faces the front of the machine.
On the other hand, the footrest is covered with non-slip material and is textured to keep you in position as you push soleus muscles. You will have to do some assembly when you buy the fitness equipment. However, the nuts are placed in locations where you will fasten them with much ease.
- It comes at a low price than most of the comparable models
- Its compact size makes it great for people with little space
- It has rubberized edges for safety and to prevent it from scratching your floor
- The fact that it can work with different weights is an added advantage to most users who have older weights
- Some joints are not well-welded and may give in after use for a long period
BodySolid has built a name for offering quality exercise machines over the years. The GSCR349 is no exception. It is made for durability and performance. Its frame is made of 11-gauge steel tubing with the dimensions of two inches by three inches.
The heavy-duty frame means that you can use it even for light commercial exercising business. Despite the minimalist design, the exercise machine has an ergonomic design that allows for natural weightlifting while reducing the strain on the ball of your feet. This has the effect of enhancing the deep activation of your ankle muscles.
Depending on your height, you can adjust the thigh pads to ensure comfort. The pull pin is located on the front side that faces the weights. It has a ball handle to make it easier for you to move the pads.
Besides, there are handles on the top of the pad bar that enable you to put extra force on your ankles when lifting weight. These handles are rubberized for a good grip even when working out with sweat hands.
This machine measures 47 inches by 20 inches by 39 inches and weighs about 93 pounds. The weight bar uses the standard Olympic weights, which are 2-inch wide.
Besides, this seated machine has a 3:1 weight ratio. This means that each weight delivers the amount of weight thrice when pushing it up. The feature allows you to get benefits with low weights.
Lastly, it has thick DuraFirm seat and knee padding. The padding is firm yet soft and does not deform with regular usage.
- It is a solid calf workout machine that can be used at home or a light traffic gym
- It is relatively cheap when compared to similar models of competing brands
- The 3:1 feature gives you unlimited force to work your muscles
- It works with the standard Olympics weights, which are now a standard around the world
- The foot supports are quite small and may feel a little uncomfortable for large feet
- The compact size makes taller people sit in an awkward position when working out
- Assembly takes time and may require a helping hand
How to Choose a Seated Calf Raise Machine
There are various leg press machines in the market, and all do not have the same performance. Several considerations and fitness goals should inform your choice of exercise equipment. Here is a quick look at some of the considerations to make.
- Go for Adjustable Height
Be sure to check on the height variations between the lowest and highest points so that you can determine if the height is enough for your needs.
- Adjustable Distance
The position of the weight as regards the length of the legs has an impact on the effectiveness of the exercise. Therefore, a machine that allows you to adjust the position will let people with different lengths of legs to get similar benefits from their workout sessions.
- The Diameter of the Loader
The size of the loader will influence the size of plates that you can use on your machine. This can deeply inconvenience you if you already have large weights and end up buying a small loader machine. Where possible, go for a two-inch loader.
- The Maximum Capacity
The maximum weight that a machine can hold determines how far you can go with your exercises. A machine that can handle heavier weights is made of heavy-duty, long-lasting machines. Compare weight capacities among different machines before making a choice.
- The Padding Comfort
Your comfort when doing the seated calf raises is vital so that you are able to push the muscles to the extreme. It also helps you prevent injuries to your knees, thighs, and related muscles. Check the make of the seat, its ergonomics, and the size.
- Resistance Type
You may go for a machine that comes with weight stacks. In this case, you will not have to own weight plates. On the other hand, this seated calf raise machine might limit you if you outgrow the weights on the machine. If you decide to go for a free weight machine, you will need to buy weights on the side. This will be an added cost. However, you can increase the weight as you wish depending on your fitness goals.
Calf Raise Benefits
1. Growth of the Soleus Muscle
2. Shortened Reaction time
3. Ankle Stability and Strength
4. Lower Body Performance
5. Preventing Injury
6. Bigger Calves. It would not be right to grow muscles in the other parts of the body and leave your calf muscles.
1. Are seated calf raises effective?
With the use of seated calf raise machines, you can safely work out this deep muscle, and in a way that will cause it to respond fast. Therefore, it is recommended that you include seated calf raises in your exercise routine.
2. How many seated calf raises should I do?
Do at least three sets of the exercise. This means you will have done 30 reps by the end of the session. However, do not overwork your muscles by doing more than 35 reps.
3. What muscles does seated calf raise work?
The seated calf raise workouts target the soleus muscle at the flat area of the calf just above your ankle. This is a deep muscle that attaches to the edge of the gastrocnemius lateral and media muscles.
Unlike the two, the soleus is only activated when you have bent the knee at 90 degrees or less. Therefore, you need an exercise that gets the muscle through a seated mechanism, hence this exercise. This muscle is key to managing your ankle joint when running or jogging.
Last update on 2021-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API