This post contains links that we may earn a small commission for at no cost to you read more
Hey friends, it’s Kathleen, your favorite blogger.
Have you bought one of those massage guns yet? You see them everywhere. People may look funny while using them, but those guns certainly are effective.
Table of Contents
If You Are Short on Time – Here Are the Main Features:
If you are in a hurry and don’t have time to read the whole article, here are the main features of the Theragun:
- Thumb attachment for lower back pain relief
- Fast pain relief without medication
- Warms up muscles and prevents pain
- Adjustable, ergonomic head for self-massage
- Customizable through a smartphone app
- Powerful 2400 pulse per minute speed
- Sleek, triangular design
- Durable and user-friendly
- 60-day return policy
Keep reading below, where I go into much more detail about this massage gun and other points you need to consider!
Why I Wrote This Article
I thought the massage gun my husband had bought me was good, but that was until someone gave me another brand of massage gun—a Theragun Prime. Once I tried it, I was amazed at the difference. You might think that all massage guns are the same, but I’m here to tell you that they aren’t!
I’ve been telling all my friends and family about this terrific new massage gun. In fact, I’ve been talking about it so much that I decided to dedicate today’s article to the Theragun Prime massage gun by Therabody.
If you think all massage guns are the same, or if you haven’t bought one yet, this article is for you.
Theragun Prime Massage Gun
You may have seen others on Instagram talk about the Theragun Prime or the Theragun Elite, and maybe you shrugged it off as just another massage gun.
Let me tell you, this is anything but your typical massage gun.
I think one thing that everyone hates about massage guns is the noise. Let’s face it, they sound like a freight train going uphill!
What Makes Theragun Different from Other Massage Guns?
Meet Theragun Prime, which the company says is 70 percent quieter than your average run-of-the-mill gun.
While I can’t judge whether it’s 70 or 90 percent quieter than the old massage gun I had, it is absolutely the quietest massage gun I’ve ever heard.
Theragun also has the Theragun Elite, which is 75 percent quieter than most other percussion massage guns.
Yes, when you are trying to relax, the last thing you want to do is wear earplugs so you don’t hear the massage gun!
Not only that. I love all the attachments that this gun has. None of those hard plastic attachments that can actually give you bruises, the Theragun Prime has 4 easy-to-clean, closed-cell foam attachments that work perfectly depending on where you want to use it.
The massage heads clean up really nice, too, so even if you use massage oil for chronic pain, you can simply wipe it right off.
My husband loves the cone attachment, which helps the tight muscles he gets in his hands. For me, I love the attachment they call the thumb. It feels like someone is massaging away the muscle soreness and muscle tension in my lower back with his or her elbows. This really has been a game-changer for my lower back pain.
For anyone who loves deep tissue massage and wants a percussion massage gun that will hit those trigger points and muscle knots, you will love the thumb attachment.
Here are other features of the Theragun Prime:
- It’s rechargeable! No more going through batteries one after the other or cords getting in the way! You can even buy a charging stand for those of you who, like me, are a bit OCD and like things to stay neatly in place.
- Great Battery Life – This is one of the best massage guns when it comes to battery life. Therabody says that Theragun Prime has 120 minutes of battery life. That’s two hours, friends! You can use this percussion massager on you and then use it on your spouse before you need to recharge it!
- Ergonomic Grip – t features an ergonomic grip handle so you won’t get sore muscle tissue in your hands or forearms, and you won’t need to use two hands to hold it!
- There are LED speed settings so you can clearly see what speed you are using.
- It was designed by a chiropractor, so expect it to be an intuitive tool. You control this massage tool via an app on your cell phone. It uses Bluetooth so you can change the settings without touching the gun itself.
- The app also allows you to make customized settings. This means that you can set your percussions anywhere between 1700 and 2400 pulses per minute. Wow. A massage gun that can be customized with just a few clicks on your phone? Who does that?!
- Bluetooth-compatible – Theragun syncs with Apple Health and Google Fit. The Theragun app also gives you recommendations for exercises or healthy living tips.
- Theragun Prime reaches 60 percent deeper into your muscle tissue than standard massage percussion guns. This is probably what makes it so effective for the sore muscles I frequently get in my lower back.
I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things, but this gun has been life-changing for me. It truly has! Muscle tightness, muscle knots, and low back pain are things of the past!
If you are looking for the best massage gun for lower back pain relief, you want Theragun Prime.
Can Theragun Prime Cause Damage?
Most physical therapists and even doctors would agree that stimulating muscle tissue increases circulation, relieves tension, and ultimately reduces pain and sore muscles. However, like anything else, a massage tool of any kind must be used responsibly.
You should always use the lowest setting, especially at the start. If you feel pain or experience bruising, you should stop using the massage gun and speak to your doctor.
Are you concerned that you just spent a couple of hundred bucks on a premium massage gun only to discover that it isn’t right for you? No worries! Theragun Prime has a 60-day free trial period. If you don’t like it for any reason, simply return it!
You can’t go wrong with that type of guarantee, but I’m sure you won’t want to return it after trying it. I bet you’ll put it in your gym bag and take it with you everywhere you go!
When Should You Not Use a Massage Gun?
Massage guns are generally safe, but you should take the following precautions:
- If you feel pain, lower the setting or immediately stop using it.
- If you get a pins-and-needles type of sensation, you’ve probably used too high a setting or been hitting the nerves. Wait a week, then try using the gun again on a lower setting.
- Never use massage guns on scabs, open sores or cuts, bruises, recent bone fractures, or cancerous skin lesions.
- Avoid using the massage gun on areas that have limited sensation. Many diabetics, for example, have very little feeling in their feet and a massage gun should not be used in this area.
- NEVER EVER apply a massage gun to the neck. You could literally sever your carotid artery. Don’t apply this deep-tissue massager to your head and neck at all costs.
- If you take prescription blood thinners, such as Warfarin, you should avoid using a massage gun altogether unless you get the OK from your doctor.
- I also want to advise pregnant women to get the OK from their ObGyn before using massage guns.
These are all common sense precautions, but it’s always a good idea to know what is safe and what isn’t.
If you have any doubts as to whether a massage gun is right for you, speak to your healthcare professional.
Does Theragun Work on Lower Back Pain?
You bet, it does! In my experience, this massage gun gives almost instant pain relief from low back pain.
It might be because it instantly improves blood flow to the muscles in the lower back. My lower back gets nice and warm in about 1 minute, and I can feel the heat releasing the muscle tension.
If you think a hot bath will have the same effect, think again! A percussion massager manipulates the muscles and causes them to release inflammation and lymph fluid, which is something a hot bath alone won’t be able to do.
Did I say I love the thumb attachment? Some people call it the bullet head, but regardless of what name you want to give it, this massage gun simply works magic on the lower back.
I’ve tried other massage guns, and as I said earlier, I even own one, but they don’t give me the near-immediate pain relief that the Theragun Prime does.
This is the best massage gun for the back that I’ve ever used.
Yes, this is a high-end massage gun at a premium price, but when you consider how much you pay for weekly massages and/or visits to your chiropractor, this is going to pay for itself in a matter of weeks.
How much is it worth to you if using a percussion massage gun gave you nearly immediate relief from sciatica (read about is walking on a treadmill good for sciatica ) or other types of back pain?
Think of it as an investment in your health and well-being. After all, if it doesn’t kick your back pain to the curb, you can return it in 60 days! You’ve got nothing to lose.
Where Should I Use My Theragun Prime for the Fastest Pain Relief?
The short answer here is wherever it hurts!
I usually feel pain in the back right between the little dimples in the hips, so that’s where I use the Theragun. My husband likes to use it much higher, closer to the shoulders.
One of the best tricks that I can recommend to you is to not let the massage gun sit in one spot for more than a few seconds (10 seconds or so should do it) Move the attachment around frequently.
Remember that if anything hurts, you’ll want to either cut way back on the pressure or move the gun around the area, rather than touch it directly. Short, rapid bursts sometimes help if the area is super sensitive.
For sore or tired muscles, regardless of the affected body part or your body weight, percussive therapy via a massage gun for the back is one of the best things you can use for relief.
I assure you, you will never regret owning a Therabody Theragun Prime deep tissue massage gun.
Is Theragun Really Worth It?
Yes, yes, and YES!
The Theragun delivers on its promises and helps with workout recovery by releasing muscle tension and soreness.
It provides nearly immediate pain relief without the use of medications.
Besides Pain Relief, What Else Does the Theragun Do?
You can even use the Theragun to help warm up muscles before you exercise! This can go a long way towards injury prevention since you will have an improved range of motion.
Imagine warming up with massage therapy before your exercise routine! Sounds like a bit of heaven, right?
Then you can use this percussion gun for preventing muscle pain later on. Professional athletes use these massage guns to help prevent what is called delayed muscle soreness.
If you have issues sleeping, using the Theragun on your large muscle groups before you hit the hay might be the answer. Some people have difficulty sleeping because of tight muscles and/or muscle pain.
You can get a good night sleep once you’ve released muscle fatigue with this versatile gun. Doesn’t a soothing massage before bed sound heavenly?
It reminds me to get a good massage before hitting the bed tonight!
Theragun is incredibly sleek and nice-looking for a massage gun. The unique triangular shape differentiates this massage gun from all the others, which look like speed radar guns that police officers point at cars on the interstate.
I like that this percussion massage gun feels sturdy in my hand and features an ergonomic, adjustable head that allows you to massage your own back.
Yes, it’s much easier to enlist help from your spouse or some other person, but if you’re ever in a pinch, it’s good to know that you can hit hard-to-reach spots without any help.
Yes, there are less expensive massage guns out there, but you won’t find one that is chiropractor-designed, gives you a fantastic massage, works better than a full-sized massage gun, and can be completely controlled and customized using a smartphone app.
The Final Takeaway
One piece of advice that my mother used to say was that you should always be aware of the price of things, not just what things cost.
She meant that some items were OK to buy cheap (flowers, plants, facial tissue) because you would enjoy them and then they’d die, or you would use them once and throw them out. However, anything that you expected to keep and use for several years, whether it was a pair of shoes or a lawn mower, you should expect to pay more for a higher quality that would last.
This is absolutely true with the Therabody Theragun Prime or Elite. Yes, there are cheap massage guns out there, but they can burn out in a matter of months or you won’t get the customized massage that Theragun Prime offers.
If you’ve got back pain and you want a quiet massage gun that won’t quit on you in a year, then you should try the Therabody Theragun Prime or the Theragun Elite.
Stay happy and healthy, friends. Life is too short for anything else!
1. How powerful is the Theragun Prime?
Unlike other massage guns, the Theragun Prime can reach speeds of 2400 pulses per minute.
2. Does the Theragun app work on Android phones?
Yes. The Theragun app will work on both Android and Apple iPhones.
3. Is the Theragun app only used for controlling speed settings?
No, the app will also tailor your massage treatment by synching your fitness activity with the Therabody app. This means you can get personalized advice on which muscle groups in your body would most benefit from massage based on what type of exercise you’ve been doing.
Written by Kathleen Langdon – TheHealthPot.com Founder
Certified Personal Trainer (CPT), Certified Corrective Exercise Specialist (CES)
Kathleen, a mother of two, struggled with ongoing weight and health issues. She created this website after she turned her life around. She built Thehealthpot.com to help inspire and motivate others with their fitness goals. Read more about Kathleen here.