Are you looking for the best foam rollers for beginners? Here is the thing; everybody who participates in some form of sport or workout needs a foam roller.
I’m love foam rollers because of the magical feeling I get after using my roller before and after workout.
I’d dare say; foam rolling is better than a post workout massage.
Foam rolling is ideal for anyone who wants to reduce the risk of injury during workouts, improve their mobility, and bust out those painful knots. And, no, you won’t have a lovey-dovey relationship with your roller.
Most people, who use rollers, attest to a love-hate relationship with their foam rollers. We’ll discuss more on this later. But, without further ado let’s look at the 10 best foam rollers on the market.
Top 10 Foam Rollers for Beginners
In this epic guide we cover some well-liked foam rollers. These are great for rolling your back, IT bands, forearms, quads, and more. If you’ve got plantar fasticis or low arches, we’ve got something for you too.
- 1. LuxFit Foam Roller
- 2. RumbleRoller Textured Muscle Foam Roller
- 3. PowerPro 2-in1 Foam Rollers- Best foam roller for back pain
- 4.Hyperice Vyper 2.0 Vibrating Fitness Roller- Best Vibrating Foam Roller
- 5. NextRoller 3-Speed Vibrating Foam Roller
- 6. TriggerPoint Grid Foam Roller- Best foam roller body building
- 7. TriggerPoint Grid STK Handheld Foam Roller- Best foam roller for runners
- 8. Rollga Foam Roller
- 9. Brazyn Morph Bravo Trek Foam Roller – Best Travel Foam Roller
- 10. TriggerPoint NANO Foot Roller Massager – Plantar Fasciitis massager roller
- Buyer’s Guide – How to pick your first foam roller
1. LuxFit Foam Roller
- 6 Inch diameter foam roller
If you are looking for a budget foam roller, consider the LuxFit Foam roller. This fitness equipment is one of the best foam rollers on the market. The LuxFit roller is designed using polypropylene foam technology and comes in 4 sizes. The sizes include 12-inch, 18-inch, 24-inch and 36-inch.
LuxFit 6-inch diameter foam roller features a smooth surface that does not lose shape. This foam roller is ideal for spinal stabilization, relieving muscle tension, and muscle strengthening.
The LuxFit roller is great for yoga, massage therapy and for use before and after workouts such as indoor cycling and running. This product is made in the US and is ideal for beginners and intermediate users.
√Repels liquids. You don’t have to worry about accidental spills or sweat sipping into the roller.
√It does not have static, so no attracting hair or lint
√Comes with a FREE instructional video
×Too firm when new but softens up after some use
2. RumbleRoller Textured Muscle Foam Roller
- 5 inch diameter foam roller
Boasting of its ability to burst out knots, the RumbleRoller is a versatile foam roller that is excellent for beginners. This roller features an innovative design.
Its surface has firm but flexible thumbs. As you roll over the roller, the ridges act like the thumbs of a message therapist gently stretching your muscles.
The flat surface between the bumps helps in soft tissue displacement. This RumbleRoller foam roller help provide relief to any type of muscular pain, and restore flexibility.
The RumbleRoller is available in two colors (blue and black) and three sizes.
- 12-inch RumbleRoller: Ideal for traveling. It can fit snugly in your carry-on suitcase, backpack or gym bag.
- 22-inch RumbleRoller: This is a mid-size roller. You can use it on your entire body.
- 31-inch RumbleRoller: Bigger member of the RumbleRoller family. It is bulky, therefore ideal for use in one location. So, if you are looking for a foam roller for using at home, you wont go wrong with this RumbleRoller.
You get a free manual with some exercises to try out.
√Waterproof and latex free
√Ideal for traveling athletes
√Allows you to control the amount of pressure
√Allows for deep tissue work
×Requires more strength to roll than the standard foam roller with a smooth surface.
3. PowerPro 2-in1 Foam Rollers- Best foam roller for back pain
If you suffer from chronic back pain or shin splints, the PowerPro rollers might be all you need. In your package you will get two rollers; a smooth and a textured roller.
The smooth roller is ideal for injury rehab and offers relief from migraines while the G2 PowerPro foam roller comes with nodules and ridges that are ideal for deep tissue message.
The smooth PowerPro roller is designed for beginners. It measures 24 inches and provides enough surface for lumbar and neck massage. It will also help you improve core strength, flexibility, and balance.
The G2 PowerPro roller also measures 24 inches and is ideal for seasoned athletes. It features a unique design that offers three types of massages; fingertip, finger, and palm massages.
These massages help heal shin splints and relieve chronic back conditions. G2 foam roller is made from durable material that can withstand heavy-duty use without losing shape. Both these PowerPro foam rollers are easy to maintain and waterproof.
√Comes with a FREE 17-page exercise ebook
√A FREE carry case included to make transportation easier
√Easy to clean
×The G2 PowerPro foam roller maybe a bit heavy to travel with
4.Hyperice Vyper 2.0 Vibrating Fitness Roller- Best Vibrating Foam Roller
A vibrating foam roller works faster than a standard foam roller. It delivers rapid pulses that will helps in blood circulation, enabling your body to recover faster.
If you are looking for a roller to help increase circulation and flexibility and reduce soreness, look no further than the Hyperice Vyper 2.0 Vibrating Fitness Roller.
The Vyper 2.0 is one of the most powerful rollers you will find on the market. It works 2x faster than a regular foam roller and offers a higher level of vibration compared to other vibration rollers.
With Vyper 2.0 you get three vibration levels (45, 68, and 92 Hz). The first setting being ideal for beginners. The vibration works deep into the muscles, loosening muscles, reducing soreness and boosting circulation. We also like its battery life. When fully charged, it gives you up to 2 hours of massage time.
√TSA approved (You can travel with your Vyper 2.0)
√Lightweight – under 3 pounds
√Ideal for myofascial release
×A bit loud
×Costlier than other rollers but it is worth every penny you will spend on it
5. NextRoller 3-Speed Vibrating Foam Roller
The NextRoller 3-Speed Vibrating Foam Roller is a vibrating roller that is trusted by professional athletes in the NFL, MBL and NBA.
This roller uses cutting edge vibration technology to offer fast relief to aching muscles on your back, hamstrings, quads, knees, and more. You will have 3 settings to choose from;
- 1200 rpm, 20hz – low intensity
- 2400 rpm, 40hz – Medium intensity
- 4000 rpm, 60hz – High intensity.
Nextroller foam roller incorporates vibration to help in flexibility and recovery after rigorous workouts such as running, yoga, crossifit and more. It comes with a charging cable which makes it easy to use the roller anywhere.
When fully charged, you get up to 2 hours of massage time. This is more than enough time to workout those knots on your back, hamstrings, quads and more. Nextroller has a carry handle which makes it easier to carry your roller.
√Lightweight – Weighs 4 pounds
√Its pattern allows you to address more concentrated areas
√Ideal for use when traveling
×Not ideal for use on the neck or head
×Level of vibration lower compared to Hyperice Vibrating Roller
6. TriggerPoint Grid Foam Roller- Best foam roller body building
Weight limit: 500 pounds
Another roller that you should consider is the TriggerPoint Grid Foam Roller. This roller is designed using EVA foam and has a hollow core. The design can withstand long term heavy usage. So, what makes this roller the best foam roller for beginners?
Well, its unique construction.
This innovative design provides different foam patterns and densities. TriggerPoint Grid Foam Roller comes with three different zones. These zones are designed to feel like palm, fingers, and fingertips massages.
At about 1 pound, this is one of the lightest foam rollers on the market. And at 13 inches, it is small enough to pack into your backpack or carry-on luggage.
√Ideal for myofascial release and self massage
√Can hold up to 500 pounds
√Ideal for stretching the lower back
×A bit difficult to use on the upper back
7. TriggerPoint Grid STK Handheld Foam Roller- Best foam roller for runners
If you are looking for a handheld foam roller to meet your needs, we recommend the TriggerPoint STK Handheld Roller. The STK’s surface features the same innovative 3D GRID pattern design found on other TriggerPoint foam rollers.
The main difference between this roller and others in the TriggerPoint family is its size and method of application. Unlike traditional rollers where you have to roll on the floor, the STK allows you to use it while seated or standing.
Its GRID surface is ideal for targeting large muscles such as quads after a sissy squat session while its AcuGRIP handles are ideal for targeting specific areas. The STK is available in two densities; GRID STK (regular) and GRID STK-X (extra firm).
Both rollers measure about 21 inches, this is long enough to use on your back. STK weighs 0.32 ounces and is a must have for anyone looking to for an innovative handheld foam roller.
√Helps burst out knots and relieve muscle tension
√Lightweight compared to other handheld rollers
×Somewhat difficult to use on the back
8. Rollga Foam Roller
Featuring a unique design, the Rollga Foam roller is an award winning roller that is uniquely tailored for trigger point therapy, massage, and self myofascial release.
Its unique contoured design allows it to bypass the bone structure (spine, shins, and more) and ensures it reaches the trigger points a regular foam roller can’t reach without causing any pressure on the bones.
Rollga also works perfectly to relief pain from shin splints. This fascial roller measures about 18 inches, which is big enough for your body and is still small enough to fit into a backpack or gym bag.
And wait, there is more. When you get this roller, you get instant FREE access to the Rollga App. This handy app will guide you through stretches and exercises. Also, their website has some awesome exercises for you try out.
√Gentle on your bones
√Eco friendly (recyclable)
√Affordable compared to other contoured foam rollers
√Comes with a nylon strap for easy transportation
×A bit big for neck pain rolling
9. Brazyn Morph Bravo Trek Foam Roller – Best Travel Foam Roller
If you are looking for a foam roller to carry with you on your travel, we recommend a lightweight and collapsible roller. The Morph Bravo foam roller by Brazyn is the world’s first collapsible roller and has been featured on Shark Tank. If the Sharks like a product, you bet it’s good.
This roller’s surface features a less bumpy surface which makes it one of the best foam rollers for beginners. The surface is designed to feel like a massage therapist’s thumbs. For true portability, it collapses to a height of 1.85 inches.
This makes it easy to pack in any gym bag or bag pack. To collapse your Morph Bravo, simply press the tabs at the end of the roller. It weighs just 1.5 lbs making it the best travel foam roller on the market.
For ease of use, the manufacturer has included pull strings at each end of the roller to help you expand it. So, how much weight can the Morph Bravo hold? Well, this roller has been tested by 350lbs sumo wrestlers and found to be worthy. This roller is durable, firm, and easy to use. Your package will include the Bravo roller, mobility deck and a travel pouch.
√Comes with a Morph Mobility booklet to guide you through exercises
√Easy to setup (takes 2 seconds to expand or collapse)
√Portable and sturdy
×More bumpy compared to traditional rollers
10. TriggerPoint NANO Foot Roller Massager – Plantar Fasciitis massager roller
6 inches foam roller
Another TriggerPoint roller! Yes, we are fond of TriggerPoint Performance Therapy products and this particular roller is designed for your feet and forearms. It is especially helpful to people suffering from plantar fasciitis.
At about 6 inches (16.5cm), this roller is long enough to cover an average foot. The Nano foot roller is small enough to fit into your gym bag or purse. You can use your foot roller at home or at the office. Like other TriggerPoint foam rollers, it features a foam surface with patterns designed to feel like fingertips massage.
This surface with ‘ridges’ helps promote blood circulation and relieve foot pains. The NANO roller is available in two densities; regular (orange) and extra firm (X-black).
√Comes with a one year warranty
√Features a sturdy and durable design
√Affordable and lightweight (8 ounces)
×Takes time to get used to.
Benefits of foam rolling
Foam rolling has numerous benefits. Some of the main benefits include:
- Increased blood flow– Your body is made of connective tissue knows a fascia. This tissue is prone to wear and tear due to physical activities. One of the best ways to regenerate muscle tissue is by increasing blood flow, through foam rolling, to the areas where the tissue has broken down. The blood carries the nutrients necessary to regenerate the broken tissue.
2. Minimizes injury risk– As we said earlier, foam rolling increases circulation and this, in turn, improves your range of motion. A well coordinated body is less likely to get hurt during workouts. And in case you hurt yourself, self-massage will decrease your recovery time.
3. Saves you money- Let’s admit it; we like saving money. And any fitness equipment that can help me save some dough, I take it without hesitation. A foam roller is designed to work like a massage therapist’s hands. So, in case you want to save those few hundred you pay your masseuse, get a foam roller.
Buyer’s Guide – How to pick your first foam roller
Before you select a roller, here is what to look for in the best foam roller for beginners
1. Types of foam rollers
The most common types of foam rollers include:
- Low density foam rollers: These are the softest and lightest rollers on the market. If you have sore muscles from an intense workout session, we recommend you use a low density foam roller.
- Medium density foam rollers: We recommend these rollers for both beginners and seasoned athletes. You can use this type of foam roller for stretches or specific exercises.
- High density foam rollers: These types of rollers are ideal for a more concentrated myofascial release. Dense foam rollers are the best choice for seasoned athletes.
2. Types of surface
- Smooth: Standard foam rollers have smooth surfaces. These types of foam rollers are ideal for beginners. The even surface provides a gentle massage. Smooth rollers are made of either firm or soft material. We recommend you pick one constructed using firm material for durability.
- Knotted/Bumpy foam rollers: These types of rollers look kind of scary because of their ridges. But, there is nothing to be scared of. The ridges are ideal for targeting “digging in” knotted parts on your muscles.
- Vibrating foam rollers: Now these are the “Hulk” in the foam roller world. They are rollers on steroids. These foam rollers are more powerful than the standard foam roller. A vibrating roller uses a powerful motor to deliver the vibration intensity needed.
So, which size is perfect for beginners? Big or small? Well, this is depends on your preference. Foam rollers come in different sizes such as
- 12-inch roller- Rolls one area at a time. Ideal for travel.
- 18-inch foam roller- Ideal for hamstrings, and quads
- 20-24-inch roller- A preference of most athletes. Rolls the whole body perfectly.
- 31-32-inches- Best for large areas like your back.
Big foam rollers are best for people with back pain. Small rollers are ideal for someone who wants to roll their forearms, IT bands and feet. Pick a roller that best meets your needs.
Foam Rollers FAQs
Which foam roller to buy?
When selecting your first foam roller, we recommend you pick roller with a smooth surface. And, as your body becomes more accustomed to foam rolling, introduce a bumpy roller or a vibrating roller to burst out the knots on your body.
2. Are foam rollers good?
Let’s admit it: Most of us look for the answer to this question after the first foam rolling session. Normally, for the first few days, your body will get sore from foam rolling. It will hurt so good. Our advice, foam rollers are good for both beginner and seasoned athletes. So, don’t stop rolling.
3. How long to foam roll?
Well, this totally depends on how fast your roller is able to burst out knots. A vibrating foam roller works faster than the traditional roller. From experience, I’d recommend you roll each muscle group for 2 minutes. Do it longer for specific areas with knots. Here is how to foam roll your back, quads, IT bands and more.
4. Does foam roller help cellulite?
No one likes the dimples that appear on the butt and legs. Those things are ugly to look at. Foam rolling does help reduce the appearance of cellulite albeit for a short period. If you are looking a long term solution, consider other methods.
Choosing the right foam roller from the thousands available on the market can be tricky. This epic guide on the best foam rollers for beginners will help you select a roller that will meet your needs and last for a long time. Don’t forget to let us know about your experience once you get to use your roller.
Last update on 2019-05-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API